Thursday, October 2, 2008

7th Continent!




Hello from Australia, my 7th continent. I love it so far! I was picked up by my hosts, Warwick and Jessica. They are the coordinators of the Perspectives here. They also are deeply involved in all things "overseas outreach" oriented in Australia and have helped me set up great interviews with folks here. God really does guide each day for me.

On the first day here, I arrived in at 7:00am. They picked me up and Warwick dropped Jessica and I off near Chinatown in Sydney and then went to work. Jessica and I walked through Chinatown to Darling Harbour. Then we walked Queen Victoria Building where I found a great little jacket/dress. But the only purple one was on the dummy, so I started to undress it. Jessica said in a very non-confronting way, "Are you sure you want to undress the dummy?" But me in a very American way didn't catch the clue and just undressed it anyway. The dress fit. The salesperson scolded me but was happier when I actually bought the dress ... for $15. Worth the undressing and scolding! :)

Then we walked to the Rocks where the old convicts used to be housed. Then it was up the Harbor Bridge to see amazing views of the Opera House. Honestly, Sydney is a phenomenally beautiful city with so much water and greenery and nice walking everywhere!

Jessica and I hopped on the train up to the Blue Mountains where they live (about an hour outside of Sydney). Along the way, guess what I saw out the window ... yep ... a kangaroo!!! I'm in Australia now!! :) Their house has a second floor verandah that looks right into the trees (not the trunks of the trees, but the upper portions with all the leaves). Their tree tops are right out of a zoo!! Sulfer Crested Cockatoos, Rainbow Lorikeets, and the King Parrot. Warwick and I actually got the King Parrot to eat out of our hands. As the King Parrot bent into my hand to grab the seed, I could feel the soft feathers of his neck with my fingertips. I was in awe as I thought, this is a wild bird eating out of my hand! I got a pic of Warwick and he tried to get a pic of me but a Cockatoo swooped in right then and off my little King Parrot flew. Here's a shot of Warwick with the same bird.

The next day Warwick and Jessica took me for a long drive through the Blue Mountains. Amazing views from every corner. Here is a picture of my hosts and just to their left are three jutting rocks that are called the Three Sisters. The background is all Blue Mountains. They are called Blue Mountains because all of the Eucalyptus trees emit a bluish oil into the air. Fascinating.

Did I happen to mention that Warwick and Jessica were complete strangers to me? I called Jessica from America to ask if I could visit any Perspectives courses and she invited me to stay with them. They really personify the family of God!

1 comment:

Warwick and Jessica said...

Thanks Tammy,
We had a ball, and so glad you came to visit. Loved your blog it will be good to keep as a reminder, I will stick into my visitors book.............
God Bless and enjoy the rest of your trip.
Lots of love
The Coghlans