Tuesday, October 21, 2008

End of Australia and beginning of Hong Kong

I spent a wonderful week in the Sunshine Coast with Rosemary. We had fun going to a lot of senior activities :) Then she took me to the Newton's in Brisbane. They were a family who volunteered to keep me for a few days while I was in Brisbane. I spoke at their church on Sunday morning. I also went to a "Bush Dance" at their church on Saturday night. Did you know that the Australians say "bush" when we would say "forest" or "wilderness?" I found out that a bush dance is an old fashioned square dance. We had a blast! I have a picture of the family I stayed with but I don't have access to download it on this computer. I'll try to do that later.

They dropped me off at the airport on Sunday. I had a 4:00 flight to Sydney. We were halfway to Sydney when the pilot came on and said there was a storm in Sydney and we would have to turn around and fly back to Brisbane. Once we landed, we were told that our flight had been cancelled and that they would put us up in hotels. But that wouldn't work for me as I had an early morning flight from Sydney to Hong Kong the next morning. When I got off the plane, everyone was gathered around the two agents at our gate. But nobody was talking to the agents at the gate next to us. So I went to them and explained my situation. They looked on the computer and gave me the LAST seat on the 7:00 flight. I then had to run downstairs, pick up my luggage, and run to re-check it in for the new flight. Thankfully it all went well and I made it to Sydney by 10:30 that night. My hotel was within walking distance. Early the next morning I was off to Hong Kong! Whew!

Hong Kong has been wonderful so far. I'm in a guesthouse right in the center of the city. I can go running in the morning along the harbor where I can see the tall buildings and the "Avenue of Stars." I only recognized Bruce Lee :) I can also go running in Kowloon park as long as I dodge the crowds who are doing tai chi. It's a whole new world here and I love it!

3 comments:

mmbickhart said...

you're amazing..

Unknown said...

I'll have to second Megan's comment! :)

Kelly Benware said...

I am not saying this cause of the previous comment, you're an amazing woman Tammy. It is a gift all that you are doing. It's wonderful to be able to keep up with you. Will you be stopping in Lithuania anytime soon?!

www.benwares.blogspot.com