Friday, September 12, 2008

1st day in New Zealand


September 11th is the day to travel! I actually left LA on the 10th but arrived in Hong Kong on the 11th. That 15 hour flight was very empty. Three seats all to myself to sleep! From Hong Kong to Auckland, I actually had 4 seats to myself. I could stretch out completely! It was the longest day of flying and the most comfortable day (actually 3 days in a way) of flying I ever experienced!


Thankfully I was well rested when I arrived as we hit the ground running. My host was at the airport to greet me. We drove straight to the Hebron House where I would be staying. The Hebron House rents about 20 rooms to local college students as a ministry. When we arrived, we went immediately across the street to a Christian school. There we taught upperclassmen high schoolers about the 10/40 window.


After class, I took a wonderful shower and an equally wonderful nap. At 6:00, Grace and Amy picked me up. Such a God story. I recently recruited another Grace to go to Vietnam. This Grace is that Grace's friend. And she has set up a number of appointments and speaking engagements for me here in Auckland.


We drove to downtown Auckland to a beautiful old church. There we heard Paul Pruitt from OMF in Denver speak. I felt like I was back at home. Except the sermon was translated into Chinese as well. Then Grace and Amy and many of their friends and I all went out for Chinese food. Above is a picture of us eating and having a great time. Grace is to my left and Amy to my right.
We decided it would be better if I stayed with Grace and Amy for the weekend since everything I am doing this weekend is with them. So now I'm at their home. I had a great night's sleep. I took a walk this morning in the glorious sunshine. It's chilly here, but very nice!

No comments: