Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tauranga and Taupo

The bus drive from Auckland to Tauranga was beautiful! The rolling hills are a springtime green and dotted with baby lambs soaking in the sun. I continue to be blessed with amazing weather and loads of sun. When I arrived in Tauranga, I spent some time at the Bethlehem Tertiary Institute. Then an old friend picked me up. We spent the next day climbing a mountain in Tauranga and then going to visit the thermal pools in Rotorua (which always makes me chuckle because every time I say it, I think "Rotor Rooter.")


After Tauranga, I took another great bus drive to Taupo. An ELIC alumna, Alicia, met me. We drove up and into the mountains yesterday and hung out at a camp in the hills. The people here are so kind and generous. We had a relaxing day including a delicious dinner. After we came home last night, we put on our "togs" (swimming suits) and went to a nearby park. We tramped (hiked) through the dark with our torches (flashlights) until we came to a stream with a 4 foot tall waterfall. That waterfall was pouring hot water down into the stream. We sat near the stream and enjoyed hottub like temps. Outside it was so cold we could see our breath but we were warm and cozy in this thermal heated stream. It was quite the fun adventure. Once we got back to the car, we were just leaving the dark parking lot when we were pulled over by the police. I was worried that we may have been in the park after hours. But the police man smiled about our toweled heads and asked if we had gone swimming. Then he gave the driver a quick breathalizer test (no alcohol ... no worries) and we were on our way. Quite the adventurous night!

1 comment:

Pan Pets said...

Hi Tammy,
This is Paige Nehrt. Your mom
gave me your google blogger thing in Australia and I'm giving it a shot for the first time and hope you can reply because I really am interested in staying in touch with you. Hope to hear from you soon and dad says Hi.
Best wishes,
Paige Nehrt